By Alexis Hammer
Reiki is a gentle and relaxing form of energy healing that works with balancing the body’s chakras/energy centres. There are 7 main chakras and each has its own frequency/vibration, emotional signature and corresponding systems and organs etc in the body.
The human body and its cells emit a bio-energetic frequency (called an aura/energy field) and has a natural flow of energy known as chi/qi. When this energy is flowing freely and abundantly, individuals will experience health, balance, vitality and alignment on physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels.
When an individual experiences stress/trauma, the perceived “negative” emotions associated with it don’t just dissipate and float away. In order to prevent ourselves from going into an overwhelmed state, we often suppress and push these feelings down. As emotions are energy-in-motion, that energy becomes stuck somewhere in our body/energy field and our body’s computer chip like intelligence, holds a memory of it.
When this happens, it can create a “glitch” in your energy field, resulting in a disruption in energy flow/chakra blockage. Blockages/stuck unresolved trauma/emotions create stagnant/slow moving energy and if left untreated, the corresponding system (i.e: endocrine/circulatory/nervous) will be affected and the body will become unbalanced. Low energy levels, fatigue, illness and eventually disease in the corresponding organ could result.
Reiki healing energy is channelled through the practitioner by placing their hands on each chakra or areas in the aura which they are drawn to. Reiki helps to break up energy blockages within the body’s energy field, allowing healing energy to flow freely again and stimulating the body’s natural ability to heal itself on physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level.
HOW CAN REIKI HELP ME?
A Reiki treatment is balancing at every level. It can help anyone who is interested enough to experience a treatment. If you are tired, you’ll feel refreshed. If you are anxious, you’ll feel serene. If you are distressed, you’ll feel comforted. Where you feel overwhelmed, you’ll find a renewed sense of yourself. Reiki energy does not discriminate. Whatever healing frequency and area your body needs to heal at that point in time, is where it will be directed.
Here are some of the ways Reiki can help you:
- Increased energy and vitality levels
- Balancing the chakra energy centres and cleansing the aura
- Releasing deep emotional issues, blocks and tension in the body
- Faster recovery from illness, surgery or those with chronic conditions
- Stress relief and overall wellness
- Feelings of deep relaxation and sense of calm
- Better sleep
- Boosting the immune system and detoxification process
- Balances Blood Pressure
- Alleviated physical, emotional, mental fatigue
- Better and more positive moods
- Clearing of the mind and improved focus
- Increased productivity and performance
2 TECHNIQUES TO HELP KEEP YOUR ENERGY IN TACT:
Protecting your energy: When you connect with others – whether it’s having a conversation or sharing a living space – you’re engaging in some form of an energy exchange. You may have noticed how moods are “contagious,” and the people you spend time with have a profound effect on you, your energy, and your mindset.
So, what do you do if you’re about to be in a busy environment (such as crowds/shopping centre) or engage in an unpleasant energy exchange (such as the your place of work)? You shield yourself from negativity. Placing an energetic shield around your body prevents you from taking on other people’s negative energy/“stuff’ and keeps them from draining your energy.
The more you practice this, the faster you will be able to protect yourself.
- Close your eyes. Imagine a small golden sphere hovering above the crown of your head. Imagine the sphere slowly starting to spin in a clockwise direction, making a very small circle. As it moves, it leaves traces of iridescent light behind it, like a sparkler.
- Now imagine the golden sphere moving in all sorts of directions as it weaves around your head. Soon those shimmering traces of light it leaves in it’s wake form an intricate, lace-like pattern around your aura/energy field.
- Continue to imagine the golden sphere as it moves down around your body, weaving an ornate network of find, delicate, light-filled lace around your aura. Don’t forget the areas of your body you can’t see, such as the back of your head, neck, your back, backs of legs and soles of feet.
- Allow the protective network of glowing lace to cover your entire aura, like a beautifully wrapped auric cocoon, and then seal it by imagining that you’re signing your name in light on it. Just like an artist would sign their work.
- When you’re about to enter an environment that you find challenging or overwhelming, make your lace of light even tighter so that it creates a bubble of light.
Grounding your energy: Grounding is basically balancing out the spiritual and physical energy in your body, by connecting yourself with the earth. When you are grounded, you feel like you are here, in the physical, in the present. To be grounded gives your energy a point of steadiness and you will feel clear, centered, strong and focused.
Due to technology and being busy “doing” rather than “being”, we are fast becoming disconnected from ourselves. Some people are thinkers, not feelers, so you are in your head more than you are in your body. You think about your feelings rather than feel them.
If you are ungrounded, you may lack focus, be easily distracted, feel spacey/scattered/anxious, you may be easily affected by what’s going on around you (especially other people’s energy or mood), you may experience feeling physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually drained, or suffer from inflammation, poor sleep, chronic pain, fatigue or poor circulation.
The following is a step-by-step grounding exercise, which can be practiced as many times as you like, day or night. The best thing about this exercise is that you can do it wherever you are, although it’s preferable to have bare feet outside on some grass/dirt/sand.
- Either sit or stand with your eyes closed and feet shoulder width apart flat on the floor. Start by visualising a big, bright column of white/golden light coming down from the highest point in the universe and travelling down into the crown (top) of your head.
- As you breathe in for a few breaths, draw this energy down from your crown, through the midline of your body and as you breathe out, push it down through your legs and feet. From here, visualise growing strong, sturdy roots which run from your feet and grow all the way into the core of the earth. Keep breathing in the light from the highest point in the universe down through your body and out through your feet into the core of the earth. You can stay here for a few minutes repeating this as you breathe.
- Once you have strong, grounded roots, now focus on the opposite. Breathing in the light as you draw the energy up through the earth, through your feet, up through your body, out through the crown of the head and out into the universe. Stay here for a few minutes until you feel balanced.